Friday, March 18, 2011

Apple Crumble

"Surely the apple is the noblest of fruits." — Henry David Thoreau, Wild Apples


Not much of a back story for this post...I had a friend coming home during reading week and I asked her what baked good she most desired. She picked apple crumble, so that's what I made!

Apple Crumble
(adapted from Green Kitchen Stories Crabapple Crumble Pie Recipe and The Food Lover's Primal Apple Crisp)


For Filling

Ingredients:
  • 7 medium size apples (Granny Smith)
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • juice of 1 lemon

Instructions:

1. Peel and cut up your apples.
2. In a bowl, combine lemon juice, cornstarch and spices. Toss apples in the spiced liquid until covered. Set Aside.

For Crumble:

Ingredients:
  • 250 grams finely chopped almonds
  • 180 grams oats
  • 2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp ginger
  • 5 grams sea salt
  • 70 grams coconut oil
  • 150 grams maple syrup
  • Vanilla
  •  Zest of one lemon

Instructions:

1. Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then mix together.
2. Line a casserole dish with parchment paper, fill with apples and top with crumble.
3. Bake at 350F covered with tin foil for 50-60 minutes, or until apples are tender. Uncover for the last 10 minutes, allowing the crumble to golden.


I divided this recipe into two batches. I didn't want to bake the whole thing only to realize it was, for example, too sweet or not sweet enough. However, the initial, tester batch was a smaller portion, fitting into a glass loaf pan, so smaller than the one pictured. I assume it could all fit into a slightly larger glass dish.

The recipe was a success. My mom, myself and my friend, Michelle, loved it...but that's not much of a surprise, when all you're doing is baking apples and topping them with a bunch of delicious things. The crumble is not too sweet and it has a good crumble to fruit ratio. I adore the lemon flavour, both in the crumble and coating the apples...I think I have become obsessed with adding lemon zest to my baking since I made those Thumbprint Cookies. You assume you could add anything you want to the crumble part—nuts, raisins, or any other dried fruit—but I wanted to keep it simple. It's pretty crumbly crumble right out of the oven, but if you let it cool, it does firm up. I always prefer my fruit crumbles once they've had time to cool, and some of the fruit juice has soaked into the crumble to make it softer...this explains why I started eating it straight out of the dish while taking pictures the next day.

In this picture, you can see I experimented with adding cheese. Wasn't anything special, but I am still considering its possibilities...

4 comments:

  1. I am making this right now except with mixed berries. I will tell you how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. It was delicious! You already know this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am both pleased and jealous

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am honoured to be mentioned by name in this post. Very yummy. Seeing the photos makes me want more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...