Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sunsets & Sandwiches

Allow me to pick up where I left off...After leaving Sheafe's, we spent a night in Williamstown, home to James' university. On our way there, and in accordance with my new obsession with learning about varieties of strawberries, we stopped to buy strawberries from a man on the side of the road.


We asked him what variety he was growing. I can't remember the name of his variety, but I didn't care to. He said he wasn't very pleased with the resulting berries, though it was his first year growing this variety. The man knew a lot about strawberries and we learned all about the different kinds suitable to the area. Though he wasn't growing it, he said Honeoye is the King and Queen of locally available strawberries—everything else can only be described as peasantry in comparison....I really want to try them now.


In Williamstown, we spent most of our day walking in Hopkins forrest. We saw a porcupine! We took like 6 pictures of it because neither of us had ever seen one before. 


In the evening, we decided to watch the sunset from the summit of Mount Greylock—the highest peak in Massachusetts and part of the Appalachian Trail. So, for dinner, we had a picnic. We bought lots and lots of food from the grocery store and health food store, then drove to the summit. We enjoyed the sunset while making my favourite kind of sandwiches, for which I will offer very vague instructions...


Honey, Cheese & Apple Sandwiches

Ingredients:
  • Apples (I like Pink Lady or Granny Smith), thinly sliced
  • Cheese (we used a cheese made of raw sheep's milk, to be adventurous but also hoping it would be easier on James' lactose intolerance. I usually use brie), thinly sliced
  • Crusty bread
  • Honey
  • Spinach
Instructions:
1. Slice your apple, cheese and bread.
2. Spread honey on both slices of bread and line with spinach, sticking it to the honey. Pile in the apple and cheese, and add your top slice. We ate ours just like that, but I also love them when you toast them open-faced in the oven on broil, to melt the cheese and soften the apple.


We left Williamstown the next day, heading for James' family home in Swansea, MA...another segment of my travels which I think requires an independent blog post...or two.

3 comments:

  1. I have also never seen a porcupine and probably would have done the same thing. I have a picture saved on my phone of a peregrine falcon that I saw at Carleton. It was just sitting on a garbage receptacle! It's a bad picture though because I was afraid to get close enough to get a decent one.

    So much flannel.

    Massachusetts looks really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know...I'm wearing two layers of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving reading about all of your travels, Beth! I only just realized that you are back to blogging, so I am catching up. It looks so nice in Massachusetts!

    Also, you have no idea how excited I am to try this sandwich. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...