Thursday, December 8, 2011

Cocoa Mint Macaroons


I spent last weekend trying to add more recipes to my Christmas party repertoire. It's actually become more of a challenge than I initially anticipated. Of the three recipes I tried, none of them turned out to be appropriate. Two of them, a sugar cookie and a gingerbread, just...weren't good. They were bland and boring...so they've been dumped. It was pretty heartbreaking...watching all those ingredients go to waste. I get so frustrated when recipes don't work.



The third recipe was for Cacao Mint Macaroons. Unfortunately, they have also been dumped. However, this decision was absolutely not based on taste...because they are marvelous. I can't even express how much I love them. Even my dad likes them...didn't eve realize they were cane sugar free and raw.

The macaroons have simply been dumped for practical reasons—the chocolate coating melts at room temperature. And I don't want to spend my party preoccupied with desserts that need fuss over serving time, etc... I will be making these again, for personal consumption, and would most definitely serve them at a smaller gathering, where I could time their introduction, or they wouldn't be sitting out long.


Cocoa Mint Macaroons
(converted from Cacao Mint Macaroons; makes about 25 macaroons)

The Filling:

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, lightly packed
  • 77 grams raw almonds
  • 150 grams unsweetened, shredded coconut
  • 150 grams liquid sweetener (honey or maple syrup)
  • 45 grams coconut oil, melted

Instructions:

1. Process almonds and mint leaves in a food processor until fine. Mix with coconut shreds.
2. Whisk together sweetener and coconut oil. Add dry ingredients and stir until combined.
3. Using a tablespoon dipped in hot water, scoop portions onto a dehydrator sheet, and place in a dehydrator for 6+ hours at 115F—until desired consistency is achieved...mine ended up spending the night in there.


For the Chocolate:

Ingredients:

  • 40 grams cocoa powder (I don't have cacao powder)
  • 150 grams liquid sweetener (honey or maple syrup)
  • 45 grams coconut oil, melted
  • 2.5 grams (1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine sea salt

Instructions:

1. Whisk ingredients until smooth, dip patties and chill. Store in refrigerator.

4 comments:

  1. Do you know about Katie's Fudge Babies? Not exactly a cookie, but...

    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/fudge-baby-mania/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A smaller gathering… like… a tea party that occurs between December 20th and January 2nd?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so good! I would definitely like some more. Also, pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really tempting! I remember my friend used to cook Chocolate Coconut Macaroons but these might be even yummier.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...