Monday, January 10, 2011

Makin' Macaroons

No Bake Macaroons


I made this recipe for the first time on Christmas Eve...

I substituted the cocoa powder for carob powder and used maple syrup instead of honey. Of course, I also added a splash of vanilla and a sprinkle of sea salt. They were very sweet, but I'm not complaining. That evening, I ate a couple of them with warm milk and honey while watching It's a Wonderful Life...



The second time I made them, I used carob powder again but decided to try honey. I couldn't taste much of a difference, really, so I'll probably stick with honey since it's cheaper.

It took all break to finally convince my dad to taste them, but he did and said they weren't bad... "tastes like coconut" he said. My mom and I thought they were delicious; I could've eaten them all to myself that first night.

I think the next time I make them I am going to use toasted coconut...I would like more of a crunch and I think that might work. I realize this defeats the beauty of it being "mostly raw," but...whatever. I still wonder what they'd taste like with cocoa powder, but I like them so much with carob that I am reluctant to waste a batch.

2 comments:

  1. OMG I just realized I forgot to watch It's a Wonderful Life this year!!! DAMN. And we just took down our Christmas tree yesterday, so there is no pretending… I'm getting so mad thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't watch it this year either, how sad. I woke up this morning really missing Christmas too!

    I have always wanted to try a 'no bake' recipe so perhaps I will try this one sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...