Thursday, February 10, 2011

Perks of Owning a Dehydrator: Making Sun-dried Tomatoes on a Cloudy Day


I thought I'd do a little more experimenting with my dehydrator, since I had a surplus of grape tomatoes nearing expiration. I'd never made sun-dried tomatoes before, but I figured they'd be pretty much the same process as grapes. So, I blanched a couple, cut a couple in half, just to see what would turn out... 

They were ok...nothing special...and I would much rather eat a fresh tomato. I think part of the reason I wasn't so keen on these is because they reminded me of a bruschetta I ate once...right before I tossed my cookies, due to stomach illness.

Anyways, upon post-production research, I discovered I was a bit off in my process, so here are...

A few things I didn't know about dehydrating tomatoes, but kind of wish I had:

1. No blanching tomatoes...apparently, you always cut them in half, and, typically, remove the seeds (although this is not necessary), ensuring that you do not also remove the juices.


2. You can sprinkle a little salt on them to help draw out the liquid.


3. It should take between 8-12 hours to yield your tomatoes.


Anyways, just thought I'd pop this post in here, in hopes of being informative. If anyone else has tips about "Sun-dried" tomatoes, I'd be pleased to hear them!

ALSO, I made more raisins using three different kinds of grapes! Too bad I ate so many before I had a chance to take a decent picture...but aren't they pretty?



6 comments:

  1. I love sundried tomatoes!!! They are one of my favourite things! I can't wait until it's summer and I can make some the OLD FASHIONED WAY… since I don't know where our dehydrator went… alsooo I like seeing their progress as the bake in the sun on the porch!

    Also, your grapes look very yummy and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The raisins were delicious...I have already finished them off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it is harvest time every gardener needs to make sure they have all the supplies they need to keep your harvest eatable. When you choose from food dehydrators you will have exactly what you need to maintain your harvest for eating anytime you want it. excalibur 2400

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owning a dehydrator is good, but sometimes is more fan to dehydrate food naturally. Thanks for the tomato dehydration process, it’s startling. I will also try to dehydrate a few mangoes on my backyard. If you do not wish to go natural, you can check out some resourceful dehydrators here: http://survival-mastery.com/diy/food_preserv/best-food-dehydrator.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good article. I'm sure there are many perks are there owning a dehydrator. If you are looking for guide in choose best dehydrator reviews then visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...