Saturday, January 22, 2011

Freezing Fruit is Berry Easy

How to Freeze Berries


Blueberries were on sale this week for $1.00...and I ended up buying 6 pints. I didn't know what to do with them all, so, I thought I'd better learn about freezing berries. I just Googled how to do it, in case there were some tricks I didn't know.

Blueberries


There really weren't. You simply...

1. Rinse and dry your berries. Most of the instructions I read reasoned that you should wash your berries before freezing them, because they are delicate once thawed.

2. Lay your berries out on a flat surface (I used a cookie sheet) to prevent the possibility of any sticking together and put them in the freezer. I put down a piece of parchment paper, just in case.


3. Once the berries are frozen (which takes about 4 hours, or so I read), transfer them to a sealable container for storage.  I used glass jars, though obviously you can use other containers or freezer bags. One set of instructions recommended sucking the air out of a freezer bag with a straw, before you seal it, to help prevent freezer burn.

Strawberries


A couple of days later, strawberries went on sale! So, I thought I might as well experiment with them as well.

It's the same process as the blueberries, except you cut off their green tops before you freeze them.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, yum!!! Blueberries were on sale at costco this week so I made a pie with mine but now I'm thinking it might be a good idea to store some like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just throw ours in a bag and put them in the freezer! haha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...