Thursday, April 28, 2011

Carob Walnut Fudge


No story to this post. The other day I was bugging my dad to give me more ideas for baking—things like bread, or cakes, or cookies. He suggested fudge...with walnuts.

I had been wanting to try The Nourishing Gourmet's Fudge Recipe for a while, though I also wanted to try and make a few changes. So, I decided to divide the recipe, and follow the recipe for the first batch, then do what I wanted with the second.


Both batches turned out great; Dad was impressed and so was I, actually. He and I love the carob ones best, but mom chose the chocolate batch. I think it's all a matter of which flavour you prefer...mom loves cocoa, while I'm not a big fan. I do love carob though, and it results in a sweeter tasting fudge.

We all agreed, however, that the coconut butter made a more fudge-like texture—the coconut oil fudge felt more like a chocolate bar. Either way, add nuts...they're delicious and crunchy, especially after being frozen.

Original recipe (left) Carob & Walnut variation (right)

I am only including weight for the recipe because I don't know what the conversion for coconut butter or carob powder is and I don't want to offer something that might be wrong.

Carob Walnut Fudge
(adapted from The Nourishing Gourmet)

Ingredients:
  • 56 grams coconut butter
  • 20 grams carob powder
  • 80 grams maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
  • 30 grams chopped walnuts (or any kind of nut)

Instructions:

1. Soften coconut butter over a double boiler.
2. In a food processor, combine coconut butter with carob powder, maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt.
3. Fold in nuts, and scoop into a small container lined with plastic wrap. Fold plastic wrap over the fudge and press down. 
4. Freeze until firm before cutting and serving. Store in freezer.


1 comment:

  1. Very smooth and fudge-like for sugar-free fudge! I also encourage adding walnuts. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...