Thursday, April 7, 2011

Maple Walnut Banana Ice Cream: Heere is ended my tales of University


Today was my last day of undergraduate classes...ever.

I am so excited, a little sad...and so close to freedom. Only two exams and one ridiculously long essay about Chaucer's Canterbury Tales standing in my way.

I celebrated the end of classes and, hopefully, the beginning of Spring weather with some Maple Walnut Banana Ice Cream. I know I've made and posted this dessert before, but my previous instructions were vague...at best. This version is so much better—the lemon zest makes it taste like Spring, which is delicious.


Plus, the old pictures were bad...very bad...and inaccurate—the ice cream looked orange and was topped with pecans instead of walnuts because we'd run out. So, I replaced them. I took these photos with James' camera, can you tell a difference?

Maple Walnut Banana Ice Cream
serves one happy nearly graduated English major


Ingredients:
  • 200 grams (about two bananas) frozen banana coins*
  • 15 grams (3/4 Tbsp) maple syrup
  • 30 grams (about 5-6) chopped walnuts
  • pinch fine sea salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • zest of half a lemon
*For the banana coins, all you do is cut up a couple bananas into, like, 1 inch slices, lay them out on a baking sheet, or something along those lines, and put them in the freezer for a couple of hours, until they're frozen.

Instructions:

1. Place banana coins in a food processor with vanilla, zest and salt, and process until creamy, scraping down the sides as you go. It'll first turn into a sort of banana meal, but just keep going until it's creamy.

2. Scoop into a bowl and fold in maple syrup and walnuts. You can either eat it right away, as a sort of soft serve ice cream, or put it back in the freezer for the texture of harder, ice-cream scoop-able ice cream. I prefer it as soft serve.

6 comments:

  1. I am making this tomorrow morning for BREAKFAST. I am so tired of writing exams already, and I have only written one… I'm off to write another in an hour or so. UGH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see no issue with that.

    I ate the last of my frozen banana stock today and there was none on the crappy fruit shelf when I went grocery shopping...bah.

    Good luck on exams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very addictive… I will be making it all the time this summer.

    Thanks!! And good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sweet Freedom. Beth! Just made this delicious concoction the other day and I gotta say it was one tasty treat. However I did substitute the walnuts with semi-sweet chocolate chips... magnifico!! Thanks Cottage. Looking forward to trying many more of your wonderful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick!! You really liked it? Come to Canada and you can see cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved it! That sounds like a really good idea. Hopefully soon Beth.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...