Sunday, April 3, 2011

Whole Wheat Crêpes


James came to visit this past week and, on Friday, we decided to have a big breakfast, since it was the only day I didn't have to rush off to class first thing in the morning. We...I...wanted crêpes. I love crêpes...adore them, I think they're my favourite breakfast food, and I seem to exclusively eat them with sweet fillings, but you can fill these any way you like.

This is the second time I have used this recipe for Whole Wheat Crêpes, though this was my first time working as both batter mixer and crêpe flipper—a couple of them came out a bit thick but crêpe flipping really wasn't so scary. I followed the recipe pretty closely, so I'll just add my notes rather than re-typing.

  • I used hard whole wheat flour because I have a lot to use up before I move out–it turned out fine.
  • I did not bother straining, just whisked it like mad.
  • I added vanilla and, right before I cooked them, the zest of one lemon.
  • The first time I made these, I only let them sit a half hour and they were fine...but the second time, I waited the full two hours and they were much smoother and seemed to cook more evenly.

The resulting crêpes are lovely and taste like your traditional crêpe—also, it's nice to start off with an unsweetened base so you can control the flavour in your fillings. My mom used to make crêpes for me as a kid every time I had a sleep over. Back in the day, I used to eat them with brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon. These days, I still use maple syrup and cinnamon, but also fruit. James and I used the leftovers of a strawberry filling made for pinwheel cookies. 

4 comments:

  1. loveliness !!!! i love crepes .... this looks awesome :)
    please visit n follow my blog if you wish to @ http://kitchensojourn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!! I am so hungry I could DIE, all I had for lunch today was carrots and a mini baby bel! This is only making things worse. I'm going to go make food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look divine..I never made it this way, but for sure will try!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love whole wheat crepes! This is pretty close to the recipe I use, and its pretty much the only thing I can make well, haha. I only use milk, whole wheat flour, eggs, and vanilla in mine. I want to try adding lemon like you suggested.
    Yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...